Nearest town: Denham, Buckinghamshire (2 miles).
Opening times: Winter: Available, 0800-1800, Licensed: 0900-1730 or sunset; Summer: Available 0800-2000, Licensed 0900-1730 or sunset
Longest runway: 775m, Asphalt
Fuel: Avgas 100L, Jet A-1
ATC 01895 835161
Taxis: South Bucks Executive Cars (01895 831 888), Henry’s Mini Cabs (01895 824 422), Plane Travellers (01895 821 712)
On the airport or within walking distance
- The airport is a short walk from Denham train station which offers a frequent service into central London.
- Denham Golf Club (see below)
- Biggles (see below)
- The Falcon Inn, Village Road, 01895 832 125. 16th-century country pub with pleasant beer garden, Cask Marque award for real ale.
- The Fat Cow, Denham Village, 01895 831001. Refurbished country pub with full restaurant menu.
- Biggles, (0845 0704241) is not highly recommended by the locals but it’s just outside the control tower and in the summer it’s a good spot for a post-flight drink.
- Tiger Cubs, New Denham, 01895 239 503. Modern Indian brasserie with regular festivals and special events.
- Salud, Denham, 01895 833048. Well-respected mix of English, European and Spanish.
- The Bull Hotel, Gerrards Cross (www.sarova.com). Four stars.
- Denham Golf Club, Denham (01895 832022, www.denhamgolfclub.co.uk). Traditional private members’ club designed by Harry Colt in 1901. This club is under the final approach for runway 06 and it’s a short walk from the airfield.
- Buckinghamshire Golf Club, Denham (01895 835 777, www.buckinghamshire-golfclub.co.uk).
- Milton’s Cottage (www.miltonscottage.org). The home of John Milton, the great poet and parliamentarian, and site where he wrote ‘Paradise Lost’.
- Windsor Castle (www.royal.gov.uk/palaces/windsor.htm). Still one of the Queen’s official residences, the largest occupied castle in the world with a 900 year history as both fort and home.
- West Wycombe (www.west-wycombe-estate.co.uk). The entire village is owned by the National Trust. Includes a beautiful stately home and grounds.