Nearest town: St.Anne’s (1.1 miles by car from town centre), Alderney, Channel Islands
- Winter: Mon-Sat 0740-1830; Sun 0855-1830
- Summer: Mon-Thu 0640-1730; Fri-Sun 0640-1830
Longest Runway: 880m, Asphalt/Grass
Fuel: AVGAS 100LL
Phone: 01481 822851 (ATC)
Website: www.flyalderney.com, Wikipedia entry
AIP: plates and airport diagram
Landing fees: From £8.00 for a single-engine aircraft and and £16.00 for a multi-engine aircraft
Note: Alderney is a PPR airport
Handling: Alderney Flying Club (01481 823053)
Taxis: ABC Taxis (01481 823760), Island Taxis (01481 823823), JS Taxis (07781 100830), A1 Taxis (0781 440121) Note: These taxis operate out of the island, not from the airfield itself
Car Hire: AFS Car Hire (01481 823352)
Charters: Alderney Flying Club (01481 823053)
The Moorings, Braye Bay, Alderney (01481 422421). A relaxed bar with outside seating options and fine views over the Bay and some good food. Alderney has about 13 pubs almost all of which are considered quite friendly and inviting.
- The First and Last, Braye Bay, Alderney (01481 823162). A seafood-specialty restaurant that is considered one of the best eating out options in Alderney.
- Belle Vue, Butes Road, Alderney (01481 822844, www.bellevue.alderney.com). An elegant restaurant that serves elaborate meals as well as simpler options such as pizza and light eats. They also operate a good coffee shop/cafe.
- Belle Vue, Butes Road, Alderney (01481 822844, www.bellevue.alderney.com). A quiet and very comfortable sort of family run hotel.
- Braye Beach Hotel, Braye Road, Alderney (01481 824300, www.brayebeach.com). A luxury hotel right on the beach. Includes add-ons such as wi-fi and an in-house private cinema!
Alderney Golf Club (01481 822835, www.alderney.org/golf) at Routes Des Carrieres is the only golf club on the island. This is an 18-hole course and every hole has fine views of the sea. Visitors welcome.
- The annual Island Air Races (www.airraceuk.co.uk), a popular event, are to be held at Alderney on 26th and 27th September, 2009.
- Walking and relaxing on the beaches
- Birdwatchers will have a fantastic time at Alderney, with opportunities to sight many different species including those from the French mainland and others on migratory routes. An interesting article on birdwatching on Alderney is to be found here.
- www.alderney.gov.gg, Official site on tourism in Alderney and other information
- www.visitchannelislands.com, Channel Islands tourist information
Leave a Reply