Nearest Town: Shaftesbury, (3m by car), Dorset
- Winter: 0900-17:00
- Summer: 0900-18:00 on Monday – Thursday & Sundays; 09:00- 20:00 Fridays & Saturdays
Longest Runway: 803m, Grass
Fuel: AVGAS 100LL
Landing fees: £ 8.50 for all types of aircraft
Note: PPR required (occasionally unlicensed after 1700hrs due shortage of RFF crew)
- Taxis: Country Cars (01747 850950), Ed’s (01747 853525), Hilltop Taxis (01747 855555), Hines Taxi (01747 829292), Jim’s Taxis (01747 858584), Shaftesbury Taxis (01747 855009, www.shaftesburytaxis.co.uk). Note: All these services operate out of Shaftesbury, not from the airfield itself.
- Car Hire: Dorset Vehicle Rentals, Gillingham (01747 835580, www.dorsetvehiclerentals.co.uk)
- Facilities at airport: Restaurant (with fine view over the runway and apron), bar and gift shop
- Flying Schools: Aviation training conducted at the airfield
- Talbot Inn, The Cross, Berwick St. John, Shaftesbury (0871 9170007). Friendly pub with a great fireplace and picturesquely located in a quiet village.
- Ye Old Two Brewers, St. James Street, Shaftesbury (01747 854211). Family run pub with a good selection of real ales as well as wines.
- The Half Moon Inn, Salisbury Road, Shaftesbury (0871 917 0007). Strictly speaking, half-way between a pub and a restaurant, but serves up some great steaks and lets you drink at your pace.
- Wayfarers Restaurant, Sherborne Causeway, Shaftesbury (01747 852821). A 200 year old cottage that still maintains a log fire and serves up some British staples.
- Byzant Restaurant, Best Western Royal Chase Hotel, Royal Chase Roundabout, Shaftesbury (01747 853355). Housed in a former monastery building, this restaurant is among the best fine dining options in the area.
- Le Chanterelle, Sherborne Causeway, Shaftesbury (01747 852821). French cuisine with a focus on local ingredients, freshly cooked on the premises.
- La Fleur de Lys, Bleke Street, Shaftesbury, Dorset (01747 853717, www.lafleurdelys.co.uk). Variously described as “six star”, “faultless” and “impeccable”, this 7-bedroom hotel is much acclaimed both for the quality of its rooms and its restaurant’s food and wine list.
- Stock Hill Country House Hotel, Gillingham, Dorset (01747 823626, www.stockhillhouse.co.uk). Victorian country house hotel set in 11 acres of splendid Dorset countryside. Boasts of a Michelin starred restaurant.
- Glebe Farm B&B, Ashmore, Shaftesbury, Dorset (01747 811974, www.glebefarmbandb.co.uk). Friendly owners, personalized service, home-cooked meals and views from the highest village in Dorset.
- Ashley Wood Golf Course, Wimborne Road, Blandford Forum, Dorset (01258 452253, www.ashleywoodgolfclub.com). 100-year old all-weather course with four holes situated inside ancient woodland.
- Canford Magna Golf Club, Knighton Lane, Wimborne, Dorset (01202 592552, www.canfordmagnagc.co.uk). Dorset’s largest golf course, built to championship specifications.
- Folke Golf Centre, Alweston, Sherborne, Dorset (01963 23330, www.folkegolfcentre.co.uk). Caters to golfers of all abilities.
- Airfield has an interesting museum with a “Flying Aces” Movie aircraft collection of historic and classic aircraft used in film and television productions.
- Visit Old Wardour Castle, a late 14th Century residence, where part of the film, Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves was filmed.
- Visit Shaftesbury Abbey Museum & Garden, set on the site of one of the oldest Benedictine monasteries in England (01747 852157, www.shaftesburyheritage.org.uk)