Nearest town: Honiton, Devon (14m by car)
Longest runway: 968m, Asphalt
Opening times: Winter 0830-1700, Summer 0830-1800
Fuel: 100LL, Jet A1
Phone: 01404 891271
AIP plates and airport diagram
- Taxis: Alpha (01404 41622), Tip Top Taxis (01404 41341), Regency Cars (01404 549 831)
On the airport or within walking distance
Dunkeswell of course is a well-known fly-out destination a few miles from Honiton in Devon and offers a good 968m tarmac runway with ample parking, a well-stocked bar and restaurant for snacks. Their inexpensive Sunday lunch is a very popular choice for nearby residents and holidaymakers. (Thanks to reader Mike Perkin for this review.)
- The Drewe Arms, Broadhempbury, Honiton, 01404 841267. Gastropub serving well-kept Otter beers, emphasis on exceptional seafood dishes. Mike Perkin adds “for those who like a good selection of fresh fish and shellfish, beautifully cooked, the connoisseurs’ choice in mid-Devon is The Drewes Arms, an olde worlde thatched pub in the small village of Broadhembury, renowned in the area as THE place to go to for fish. Its restaurant is in two small rooms, seating about 20-30 people at most and offers very high levels of cuisine. I’d strongly recommmend the seared scallop starter and Turbot for main !!”
- The Sidmouth Arms, Upottery, 01404 861252. Plenty of old world charm, good seafood menu, beer garden with aviary.
- Well-regarded restaurant at the airfield featuring excellent Sunday carvery.
- Restaurant at Coombe House, Gittisham, 01404 540 400. Renowned for the contents of its cellars, serving hard-to-beat modern British in the environs of a lovely country house.
- Restaurant at the Belfry Country Hotel, Yarcombe, 01404 861 234. Menu of local produce.
- Restaurant at Home Farm Hotel, Wilmington, 01404 831 278. Delightful 16th century farmhouse.
- Kings Arms Inn, Stockland (01404 881 361, www.kingsarms.net). The bar features local guest ales and live music.
- Deer Park Country Hotel, Weston (01404 41266). A 17th century Georgian manor with views of the River Otter.
- Dunkeswell Abbey, beautiful 13th century ruins near the airfield.
- Allhallows Museum, Honiton (01404 44966, www.honitonmuseum.co.uk). The building dates back to 1327 and was previously a school. Features exhibit of local lace-making.
Tracey Bell says
The Old Kennels is adjacent to Dunkeswell Airfield, we offer four star Bed and Breakfast accommodation with a private lounge and terrace, which can also be booked as a private two bedroomed appartment. See http://www.theoldkennels.co.uk for details
Matthew Stibbe says
That's great. Thanks for posting this comment about the Old Kennels. I must visit Dunkeswell soon. 🙂