Nearest town: Duxford (5m by car), Cambridge
Opening times: Summer 1000 –1800, Winter 1000 – 1600
Longest runway: 1222m, Asphalt/Concrete
Fuel: 100LL, Jet A1
Phone: 01223 833376
AIP plates and airport diagram
Taxis: Jim’s Cars (01223 691 164), Phil’s Taxi Services (01223 521 918), South Cambs Taxis Ltd (01223 834 858)
On the airport or within walking distance
Aircraft Museum – see below
- The John Barleycorn, Duxford, 01223 832699. Greene King Pub of the Year 2002. Real ales and accommodation.
- Plough Inn, Duxford, 01223 833 170.
- The Royal Oak, Barrington, 01223 870 791. 300-year-old pub, well worth the trip.
- Tickell Arms, Whittlesford, 01223 833 128. Much-loved Cambridge landmark with reliable menu and eccentric décor.
- Le Gros Franck, Cambridge, 01223 565 560. Excellent French bistro and café.
- Duxford Lodge (01223 836 444, www.duxfordlodgehotel.co.uk). Former hangout of Winston Churchill and Bing Crosby, award-winning restaurant Le Paradis.
- Red Lion Hotel, Whittlesford (01223 832047, www.trlh.co.uk). Well-kept 13th century priory house.
- Heydon Grange Golf and Country Club, Heydon (01763 208 988, www.heydongrange.co.uk). 27-hole course is a venue on the Europro tour.
- Imperial War Museum Duxford is part of Europe’s leading aviation museum, also featuring historic collection of tanks and military vehicles and American Air Museum. All amenities of Imperial War Museum, including coffee shop, Runway Restaurant and Café Duxford.
- Sedgwick Museum, Cambridge (01223 333 456, www.sedgwickmuseum.org). The University’s oldest museum, with over a million fossils in its collection.
- Cambridge University Botanic Garden (01223 336 265, www.botanic.cam.ac.uk). Finest collection of trees in the east of England.
Great to see The John Barleycorn back to its best after being closed for so long.
Keep up the good work guys
Come Fly With Me says
Looking forward to the 2010 Duxford Autumn Air Show. This year celebrates both the 65th birthday of the B-17 Fortress G-BEDF Sally B, and 75 years of the B-17 Fortress.