Nearest town: Edinburgh, Scotland
Opening times: H24
Longest runway: 2560m, Asphalt
Fuel: 100LL, Jet A1
Phone: 0870 040 0007
Website: www.edinburghairport.com, Wikipedia entry
AIP plates and airport diagram
- Handling: Signature (www.signatureflight.com/locations/edi, 0131 317 7447)
- Taxis: Executive Onward Travel (0131 333 2255)
- Car Hire: Hertz (www.hertz.co.uk), Avis (www.avis.co.uk), Europcar (www.europcar.co.uk), National (www.nationalcar.co.uk), Alamo (www.alamo.co.uk), Budget (www.budget.co.uk), Enterprise (www.enterprise.com)
- Facilities in main terminal: bookstores, cafés, restaurants, luggage shop, massage therapy, duty free, clothing shops, newsagents, bars, chemist, foreign exchange, cashpoints.
- Black Bo’s, Blackfriars Street, 0131 557 6136. Small friendly pub on the Royal Mile.
- Ensign Ewart, Lawnmarket, 0131 255 7440. Good for an ‘authentic’ Scottish drinking experience.
- Isobar, Leith, 0131 467 8904. Young, laid-back and trendy, good for people-watching.
- The Auld Hoose, St Leonards Street, 0131 668 2934. Atmospheric hidden gem with dedicated locals and great jukebox.
- Yumi, West Court, 0131 337 2173. Probably the best Japanese in town with an authentic tatami room for groups of four or more.
- La Bruschetta, Haymarket, 0131 467 7464. Authentic Italian using local produce.
- Restaurant Martin Wishart 0131 553 3557 (www.martin-wishart.co.uk). Michelin-starred high-end dining.
- The Secret Garden, 0131 225 5613. Candle-lit romantic venue.
- Haldanes, Albany Street, 0131 556 8407 (www.haldanesrestaurant.com). Serves the best of traditional Scottish cuisine.
- The Scotsman (0131 556 5565, www.thescotsmanhotel.co.uk). Ultra-luxurious, set in the former headquarters of the newspaper. Award-winning restaurants and facilities including a private cinema.
- The Balmoral (0131 557 3747, www.thebalmoralhotel.com). The city’s most prestigious address, member of the Leading Hotels of the World.
- Rick’s (0131 622 7800, www.ricksedinburgh.co.uk). Chic boutique hotel with ten rooms, bar and restaurant.
- Hotel Ceilidh-Donia (0131 667 2743, www.hotelceilidh-donia.co.uk). Small family-run hotel in quiet residential area.
- Mortonhall Golf Club (0131 447 6974). The oldest course in Edinburgh, one of Scotland’s premier clubs.
- Portobello Golf Club (0131 669 4361, www.edinburghleisure.co.uk).
- Prestonfield Golf Club (0131 667 9665, www.prestonfieldgolf.com).
- Turnhouse Golf Club (0131 339 1014, www.turnhousegc.com). 18-hole parkland course designed by James Braid. Address:
- Edinburgh Castle (www.edcastle.com). The city’s most popular attraction.
- Witchery Tours (www.witcherytours.com). Spooky tours of the historic old town.
- Holyroodhouse (www.royal.gov.uk). Founded as a monastery in 1128, now the Queen’s Scottish residence.
- Royal Yacht Britannia. Floating royal residence retired from service in 1998.
- Rosslyn Chapel (0131 440 2159, www.rosslynchapel.org.uk). Founded in 1446, now home to many concerts and events.
[…] well on price and facilities with similar regional airports in the UK such as Leeds Bradford, Edinburgh or Newquay. There are a couple of restaurants in or near the […]