Nearest town: Tenterden (14m by car), Kent
Phone: 01622 890 226; 01622 890 236 (Outside normal Aerodrome hours)
Wevsite: www.headcornaerodrome.co.uk, Wikipedia entry
Landing fees: £10 – £15, waived if 40 or more litres of fuel are uplifted.
Runway: 840m x 30m, Grass
Opening times: 0900-sunset and by arrangement.
Fuel: AVGAS 100LL, Jet A1 for business users only or emergencies.
AIP plates and airport diagram
- Taxis: MTC Cars (01622 890 003), Wealden Cars (01580 291 199) and Maidstone Taxi Co (01622 890 003)
- Car Hire: Hertz (01622 734677, www.hertz.com), Ashford Self Hire (01233 626407, www.ashfordselfhire.co.uk) and Practical Car and Van Rental (01622 750191, www.practical.co.uk)
- Passenger facilities: Free parking, Holding Point café, fully licensed bar, kids’ play area and local Kentish lamb for sale. Customs and immigration by arrangement.
- Charter: 01622 891 539
- Flying schools: Weald Air Services Ltd.
- Smarden Bell, Smarden (01233 770 283). Warm and welcoming country pub with an excellent menu.
- The George and Dragon, Headcorn (01622 890 239). Good beers, bar snacks and separate restaurant.
- The Chequers Inn, Smarden (01233 770 217). A 14th century coaching inn, Greene King Southern Regional Caterer of the Year 2005.
- The Rose and Crown at Mundy Bois, Smarden (01233 840 393). Fully traceable local produce, a la carte and bar menus. Off the beaten track in lush Kentish countryside.
- West House, Bidden den (01580 291 341). Modern British in this good value, smoothly-run local destination.
- Thai Orchid, Tenterden (01580766 088).
- Little Silver Country Hotel, Tenterden (01233 850 321, www.little-silver.co.uk). Includes luxury bedrooms with four-posters and suites with jacuzzis.
- Collina House Hotel, Tenterden (01580 764 852, www.collinahousehotel.co.uk).
- Weald of Kent, Headcorn (01622 891 671, www.weald-of-kent.co.uk). Golf course, hotel and business centre.
- Chart Hills, Biddenden (01580 292 222, www.charthills.co.uk). Designed by six time Major winner Nick Faldo.
- Staplehurst Golf Centre, Staplehurst (01580 893 362, www.staplehurstgolfcentre.co.uk).
- Leeds Castle (www.leeds-castle.com). Stunning attraction set on two islands in the river Len.
- Rare Breeds Centre, Woodchurch (01233 861 493, www.rarebreeds.org.uk). Charity trust set in 120 acres of parkland.
- Biddenden Vineyards (01580 291 726, www.biddendenvineyards.com). Home of famous Kentish bottled cider as well as grape varieties.
- Tenterden tourism information: www.tenterdentown.co.uk
- Kent tourism information: www.visitkent.co.uk
I fly a Mooney M20. It's not the perfect soft airfield tool, with its short retractable gear and limited prop clearance. Grass strips are okay, if they're smooth enough. Can give any more details about that?
Would love to fly in one day from Holland and visit Leeds Castle for a few holes of golf. Looks amazing!