Nearest town: Cirencester (5 miles by car), Gloucestershire
Opening Times: Winter: 0900-1700 or SS, and by arrangement; Summer: 0800-1700, and by arrangement
Longest Runway: 2009m, Asphalt
Fuel: AVTUR JET A1, AVGAS 100LL
Phone: 01285 771177
Website: www.kembleairport.com, Wikipedia entry
AIP: plates and airport diagram
Landing fees: From £8.50 for aircraft 450 kg and under to £22 for aircraft in the 1651 – 2750 kg range (Lowest fire cover option; higher cover available)
Note: Flight Information Service (FIS) available during standard opening times but the airport may switch to an Air/Ground (A/G) service during quiet periods. All circuits need to be pre-booked.
- Taxis: Alma Travel (01285 644584), Al’s Cabs (01285 651895), (Astro Cabs (01285 640926), Brian’s Cabs (01285 655299), Cirencester Taxis (01285 642767), Simmo’s (01285 655471) Note: Taxis operate out of Cirencester, not from the airfield itself
- Car Hire: United Rental Group (01285 657237, www.unitedrentalsystem.co.uk), Enterprise Rent A Car (01285 651394, www.enterprise.co.uk), Midlands Vehicle Rental (01285 651394, www.mvrltd.co.uk), First Choice Vehicle Hire (01285 644965)
- Facilities at airport: Restaurant
- Flying Schools: Cotswold Helicopters (01285 770740, www.cotswoldhelicopters.co.uk), Fly2help (01285 770821, www.fly2help.org), Cotswold Flying School (01285 610610, www.cotswoldflyingschool.com), Delta Jets (01285 771494, www.deltajets.com), Skysport UK (01285 851311, www.skysport.dial.pipex.com), Ultimate High (01285 771200, www.ultimatehigh.co.uk)
- AV8 Restaurant overlooks the runway – see review below.
- The Tunnel House Inn, Coates, Cirencester (01285 770280, www.tunnelhouse.com). A pub whose decor can be described as a bit of everything collected over the years; Great views from the garden and a choice of ales from local breweries make it a popular choice.
- The Wild Duck Inn, Drakes Island, Ewen, Cirencester (01285 770310, www.thewildduckinn.co.uk). A 16th century inn with a cozy bar and comfortable seating in the garden, for sunny days.
- The Mad Hatter Wine Bar, Castle Street, Cirencester (01285 642371). Fancy a change from quaffing beer? This wine bar has a good selection of wines though the beer drinker isn’t entirely ignored!
- AV8, Kemble Airport (01285 771188). AV8, the airport restaurant, has fine views of the runway and is commonly considered one of the best on-airport restaurants in the UK.
- Bathurst Arms, North Cerney Cirencester (01285 831281, www.bathurstarms.com). British and Italian food with a focus on local ingredients. Served in a comfortable old-style setting.
- Indian Rasoi, Dollar Street, Cirencester (01285 644826). Indian food and a choice of Asian beers in contemporary settings.
- The Fleece Hotel, Market Place, Cirencester (01285 658507, www.fleecehotel.co.uk). The Fleece Hotel is close to everything worth visiting in Cirencester. Visitors insist that inspite of its not being quite a ‘modern’ hotel, it has a certain charm and sense of history. The good breakfasts help!
- The Ivy House B&B, Victoria Road, Cirencester (01285 656626, www.ivyhousecotswolds.com). A lovely 19th century house within walking distance of central Cirencester and noted for the friendliest owners. The wi-fi may be an added attraction.
- Cotswold Willow Pool, Oaksey Road, Pool Keynes, Cirencester (01285 861485, www.willowpool.com). A B&B a little out of the ordinary – this is a lakeside home in the Cotswold Water Park, with all the rooms overlooking private lakes.
- The popular Kemble air show with its RAF displays is scheduled for the 20th and 21st June 2009 (www.kembleairday.com)
- For WW2 buffs! Kemble Airport hosts a Battle of Britain weekend on 19th and 20th Sept, 2009 complete with a flying display of vintage aeroplanes.
- Visit to the Church of St. John the Baptist at Cirencester, one of the largest churches in England.
- Cirencester has a farmers market every Monday and Friday and an antiques market every Friday.
- www.the-cotswolds.org, Tourist Information on the Cotswold region
- www.cirencester.com, Cirencester tourism information
[…] Aerobatics course with Ultimate High at Kemble […]