Nearest town: Norwich (4 miles by car from city centre), Norfolk
Opening Times: Winter: Sun-Fri 0630-2215; Sat 0630-2200 and by arrangement. Summer: Sun-Fri 0530-2115; Sat 0530-2100 and by arrangement
Longest Runway: 1841m, Asphalt/Concrete
Fuel: AVTUR JET A1 (with or without AL 48), AVGAS 100LL.
Phone: 01603 411923
Website: www.norwichairport.co.uk, Wikipedia entry
AIP: plates and airport diagram
Landing fees: From £9.18 per tonne or part thereof for aircraft up to 5 tonnes and £18.37 per tonne or part thereof for aircraft over 5 tonnes
Note: Norwich is a PPR airfield. Movements outside the published hours incur extra charges.
- Handling: SaxonAir Flight Support (08451 556222, www.saxonair.com)
- Taxis: Norwich Taxis (01603 424044)
- Car Hire: Avis (08706 086353, www.avis.co.uk), Hertz (01603 404010, www.hertz.co.uk), Europcar (01603 400280, www.europcar.co.uk)
- Facilities at Airport: Cafe, Bar, Duty free and other shopping, wi-fi
- Flying Schools: Norwich School of Flying (01603 4013107, www.nsf.flyer.co.uk), Premier Flight Training (01603 414341, www.premierflighttraining.co.uk), Anglia Flight (01603 412888, www.anglia-flight.co.uk)
- The Reedcutter, Station Road, Cantley, Norwich (01493 701099, www.thereedcutter.co.uk). A somewhat quiet but very comfortable rural pub with its own beer garden that runs down to the river.
- The Fat Cat, 49, West End Street, Norwich (01603 624364, www.fatcatpub.co.uk). Has a reputation for the largest range of beer you’ll find anywhere, including some of their own beers. This is a no-frills pub (except for a lot of brewery memorabilia) with honest prices.
- The Playhouse Bar, 42-58, St. George’s Street, Norwich (01603 766669). If you have the time for a musical or dance show, then the Playhouse Bar attached to the Norwich Playhouse is a good option. Tends to be a bit crowded, but the atmosphere is always lively and the garden is nice in the summer.
- The Waffle House, 39, St. Giles Street, Norwich (01603 612790, www.wafflehouse.co.uk). An unusual restaurant that will delight waffle lovers – here, everything sweet and savoury, from apple and chocolate mousse to garlic mushroom and potato curry is served with Belgian waffles.
- The Lavender House, 39, The Street, Brundall, Norwich (01603 712215, www.thelavenderhouse.co.uk). Acclaimed restaurant that focuses on local ingredients done up in a ‘modern’ style. There is an interesting package for a cookery demonstration and supper, where you can learn and eat!
- Pinocchio’s, 11, St. Benedict’s Street, Norwich (01603 613318). Some of the best Italian food in Norwich, in a comfortable atmosphere.
- By Appointment, 25-29, St. George’s Street, Norwich (01603 630730, www.byappointmentnorwich.co.uk). A luxury boutique hotel located centrally, with each of its five bedrooms furnished attentively and with period furniture. The restaurant on the premises receives good reviews too.
- 38 St. Giles, 38, St. Giles Street, Norwich (01603 662944, www.38stgiles.co.uk). Highly personalised service and very tastefully done up rooms make this an extremely comfortable B&B option.
- St. Giles House, 41-45, St. Giles Street, Norwich (01603 275180, www.stgileshousehotel.com). A 4-star hotel and spa in a renovated baroque building.
- Little Willows, Nursery Road, Chedgrave, Norwich (01508 528525, www.littlewillows.co.uk). If a rural retreat is really what you need, this is a peaceful and cosy little cottage tucked away in a country garden.
The Norwich and surrounding area has many fine options for golfers of all abilities. More details of courses can be had at http://www.uk-golfguide.com/england/norwich~27252_area_courses.html
- The airport has a small memorial dedicated to the United States Army Air Force (USAAF), which used this airport during WWII. It contains some paintings and photographs related to the USAAF use of the airport.
- Visits to Norwich Cathedral and Norwich castle, buildings of architectural value and historical interest.
- Visit the Sainsbury Centre for Visual Arts (01603 593199, www.scva.org.uk), which has a very large permanent collection including masters such as Picasso and Degas, as well as interesting exhibitions from around the world.
- The Blue Badge guides organise some interesting walks in the Norwich area (01953 789346).
- www.visitnorwich.co.uk, Norwich Tourism Information
- www.visitnorfolk.co.uk, Norfolk Tourism Information
Matt Kennedy says
Thanks for putting all this info in one place!