Nearest town: Castle Donington (12m by car), Derby
Opening times: H24
Longest runway: 2893m, Asphalt
Fuel: 100LL, Jet A1
Phone: 01271 919 9000
Website: www.eastmidlandsairport.com, Wikipedia entry
AIP plates and airport diagram
- Handling: Signature Flight Support (01332 811179, http://www.signatureflight.com/locations/ema). Handling is mandatory.
- Taxis: Checker Cars (01332 814 000)
- Car Hire: Enterprise (01332 812 828), Europcar (01332 853 679), National (01332 853 551), Hertz (01332 853 552)
On the airport or within walking distance
- East Midlands Aeropark musuem – see below
- Two foreign exchange outlets, shops including Boots and Accessorize, Spar supermarket. Café Ritazza, Burger King, Pizza Hut, Millie’s Cookies, Soho Coffee Company, food hall, bar. Internet station. Quiet prayer room.
- The Falcon, Long Whatton, Loughborough, 01509 842 416. Pleasant country pub with accommodation.
- Harrington Arms, Sawley, 0115 973 2614. Beer festival every August Bank Holiday.
- The Jolly Sailor, Hemington, 01332 810 448.
- Sherwood Restaurant, Thistle Hotel, Castle Donington, 01332 850 700. Has a conservatory area that caters for large groups.
- Orchard Restaurant, The Yew Lodge Hotel, Kegworth, 01509 672 518.
- Pavilion Restaurant, Hilton Hotel, Castle Donington, 01509 674 000. Spacious venue with resident pianist on Thursday and Saturday nights.
- The Hilton East Midlands Airport (01509 674000, http://www.signatureflight.com/locations/ema) is five minutes drive from the airport itself.
- The Priest House on the River, Castle Donington (01332 810 649). Impressive hotel on a site mentioned in the Domesday Book. Four stars, restaurant and conference rooms.
- Donington Park Farmhouse Hotel (01332, 862 409, www.parkfarmhouse.co.uk). Beautiful restored 17th century farmhouse, good views, bedrooms individually decorated.
- Donington Manor Hotel (01332 810 253, www.doningtonmanorhotel.co.uk). Privately owned with excellent bistro.
- Breedon Priory Golf Centre, Derby (01332 863081, www.breedongolf.co.uk).
- Rushcliffe Golf Club, Loughborough (01509 852 959, www.rushcliffegolfclub.com).
- Trent Lock Golf Centre, Nottinghamshire (0115 946 4398, www.trentlock.co.uk). The main course has two par 5, five par 3 and eleven par 4 holes, plus water features and three holes adjacent to the river Trent.
- East Midlands Aeropark (www.eastmidlandsaeropark.org), is an aviation museum and viewing area located on the airport itself. Entry is a modest £2 per person. The collection includes a Canberra, Hunter, Buccaneer, Spitfire and a Vulcan.
- Donington Grand Prix Collection, Castle Donington ( 01332 811 027, www.doningtoncollection.com). More Grand Prix cars under one roof than anywhere else in the world.
- Breedon Priory Church (01332 864 845). Site of an Iron Age Fort and Saxon Priory. Contains unique 8th Century Saxon carvings.
- Elvaston Castle Country Park, Derby (www.elvastoncastle.org.uk). Over 200 acres of woodlands, parkland and formal gardens.
Leave a Reply