Nearest town: Rotterdam (about 15 minutes by car), The Hague (Den Haag, about 30 minutes by car), Delft (about 20 minutes by car)
Opening times: H24
Longest runway: 2200m, Asphalt
Fuel: 100LL, Jet A1
Phone: 01271 919 9000
Netherlands AIP with plates and airport information
KLM Jet Center at Rotterdam Airport
- Handling: KLM Jet Center (+31 (0) 10 298 4949, www.jetcenter.nl). Expect to pay around £170-230 for a light aircraft including a return taxi trip to Delft, Rotterdam or The Hague. Handling is mandatory and expensive but very helpful. They can sort out your flight plan, weather, ground transport and so on. There is a comfortable pilot lounge and computers for accessing the internet. KLM Jet Center is very suave but a (slightly) cheaper option for handling is Avia Partners. Their handling runs to about £70 and then you have to pay a landing fee to the airport authorities of around £20. However, you don’t get the red carpet treatment and you have to go through the main terminal security checks (take the crew line, not the passenger line) and then wait for a crew bus to the plane. It takes 30m or so to get from curb to plane compared to 5m at KLM. Your money, your time, your choice!
- Taxis. There is a taxi rank at the main terminal but it is a five minute walk from the GA terminal.
- Car hire. Avis (+31 (0)10-4332233), Europcar (+31 (0)10-4371826), Hertz (+31 (0)10-4158239), Sixt (+31 (0)10-4627221), National (+31 (0)10-2865966).
On the airport or within walking distance
- Restaurants. The Grand Cafe / Restaurant Horizon is located airside in the main terminal.
- Parkheuvel. Offering French cuisine by the river in nearby Rotterdam, Parkheuvel has three Michelin stars. Read the Golf Hotel Whiskey review.
- Delft. Delft is a 20 minute taxi ride from the airport. A beautiful town full of canalside cafes and shops, like a scaled down and more intimate Amsterdam. It was Vermeer’s home town although little remains of his presence (although a Vermeer centre reopened in January 2008.) There are many shops selling the famous Delft Blue porcelain but there is also a factory shop and museum outside the town centre.
- Mauritshuis Museum. Fantastic and delightfully compact museum of Dutch painting in The Hague. Read the Golf Hotel Whiskey review.