Nearest town: Romford (6 miles by car), Essex
Opening Times: Winter – 0830 to SS; Summer – 0730 to SS
Longest Runway: 1077m, Grass/Asphalt insert
Fuel: AVTUR JET A1, AVGAS 100LL
Phone: 01708 688380
Note: Stapleford is a PPR airfield and requires a minimum of 2 hours notice for any aircraft arriving outside of published hours.
- Handling: Stapleford Flight Centre (01708 688380), London Executive Aviation(01708 688420)
- Taxis: Available from Theydon Bois, 01992 814335
- Car Hire: Hertz (01708 721882, www.hertz.co.uk)
- Facilities at airport: Bar and Restaurant at the Clubhouse
- Flying Schools: Stapleford Flight Centre (01708 688380)
- Charters: London Executive Aviation (01708 688420)
- Queen Victoria, Coppice Row, Theydon Bois, Essex (01992 812392). A charming 200-year old pub located opposite the village greens, this one serves some good Hertfordshire McMullen real ales. The service is very friendly and welcoming, though this is primarily a locals pub.
- Forest Gate Inn, 111, Bell Common, Epping, Essex (01992 572312). Traditional quiet no-frills pub with a good fire and a pretty outdoor area for the summer.
- The Kings Head, High Road, Chigwell, Essex (02085 002021). A coaching house dating back to the 12th C., this one served as a model for the Maypole in Charles Dickens’ ‘Barnaby Rudge’! While the exterior has stood intact, the interior has been much changed and this is now more of a food-pub than a hardcore drinking establishment.
- Tudors, The Marygreen Manor Hotel, London Road, Brentwood, Essex (01277 225252, www.marygreenmanor.co.uk). Modern British food in an elegant 16th C. Manor House.
- Prezzo Epping, 236, High Street, Epping (01992 570056, www.prezzoplc.co.uk). Part of a chain, this friendly restaurant dishes up some reliable Italian food, with the pizzas rated especially well.
- Mizu, 69-70, Brook Street, Brentwood (01277 233888, www.mizunoodlebar.com). A noodle bar that is popular locally for its extensive menu and reasonable prices.
- The Marygreen Manor Hotel, London Road, Brentwood, Essex (01277 225252, www.marygreenmanor.co.uk). The Marygreen Manor has a wide range of rooms to choose from, including original Tudor rooms. The hotel is very comfortable and all rooms have modern amenities; the only hitch is it can get a bit noisy, being a popular venue for local weddings.
- Waltham Abbey Marriott Hotel, Old Shire Lane, Waltham Abbey, Essex (01992 717170). Comfortable and stylish 4-star hotel set close to the Epping Forest.
- Harefield Manor Hotel, 33, Main Road, Romford, Essex (01708 751901, www.thecoachhousehotel.co.uk). A Victorian-era building, this hotel has now been modernised to offer a comfortable stay; conveniently located in the centre of Romford.
This area possibly has one of the highest number of golf courses in the country. More details available at http://www.uk-golfguide.com/england/romford~26104_area_courses.html.
- Stapleford Aerodrome is close to the M25 and Debden on the Central Line is about 10 minutes away. It is therefore close enough to London, should you wish to head there!
- Walking, biking and horse riding are all popular activities in the ancient Epping Forest nearby.
- Queen Elizabeth’s Hunting Lodge at Chingford (www.visitlondon.com/attractions/detail/69004), once used as a hunting base by the Royalty, has now been converted to a museum and is worth a visit for its displays on life in Tudor times.