Nearest town: Andover (6 miles by car), Hampshire
Opening Times: Winter: 0900-1700 and by arrangement; Summer: 0800-1600 and by arrangement
Longest Runway: 770m, Asphalt
Fuel: AVTUR JET A1, AVGAS 100LL
Phone: 01264 772352 (A/G), 01264 772171 (Admin)
Website: www.westernairthruxton.co.uk, Wikipedia entry
AIP: plates and airport diagram
Note: Thruxton is a PPR airfield
- Handling: Western Air (01264 772171)
- Taxis: 1-2 Call Cabs (01264 355959), A&B Cars Private Hire (01264 323444), A1 Private Hire (01264 365045), Andover Airport Cars (01264 352535), Dales Private Hire (01264 333455) Note: Taxis operate out of Andover, not from the airfield itself
- Car Hire: Enterprise Rent A Car (01264 366722, www.enterprise.com), United Rental Group (01264 771564, www.unitedrentalsystem.co.uk),
- Facilities at airport: Cafe
- Flying Schools: Western Air (01264 773900)
- The Forester Arms, 2, London Street, Andover (01264 361543). One of the few traditional pubs still surviving in Andover’s town centre. This is a small and quite popular place – no frills, but some good ales.
- The Bourne Valley Inn, Upper Link, St. Mary Bourne, Andover (01264 738361, www.bournevalleyinn.com). The drive into the Hampshire countryside is well worth it – this beautiful country pub and inn serves some excellent food. Besides, the garden and outdoor patio is welcoming, on sunny days.
- The Peat Spade Inn, Village Street, Longstock, near Andover (01264 810612, www.peatspadeinn.co.uk). An excellent wine list and delicious food based on seasonal ingredients makes this a somewhat unusual country pub.
- Esseborne Manor, Hurstbourne Tarrant, Andover (01264 736444, www.esseborne-manor.co.uk). Classic French cooking in a delightful Victorian country house.
- Bere Hill, Quality Hotel Andover, Micheldever Road, Andover (01264 369111, www.andover-hotels.co.uk). Modern British cuisine in a comfortable yet elegant atmosphere.
- Buddha’s Chinese, Colenzo Drive, Andover (01264 345657). Apart from the good Chinese food, the popularity of this place means that it is always bustling and a comfortable option for the solo traveller.
- Esseborne Manor, Hurstbourne Tarrant, Andover (01264 736444, www.esseborne-manor.co.uk). Esseborne Manor is also a great option for a stay, with 20 beautiful rooms that combine ‘character’ with all modern amenities.
- Danebury Hotel, 2, High Street, Andover (01264 323332, www.thedaneburyhotel.com). A 15th C. coaching inn, now a very comfortable hotel located in the town centre. The disco and late bar may be a bit lively though, for those who want their quiet.
- Ringlands House, 7, Wellesley Road, Andover (01264 333092, www.ringlands.co.uk). Rated one of the best B&Bs in this area, this is a very friendly place to stay. The hosts are welcoming and the service is personalised. Besides, there is a beautiful garden where the weary traveller can relax!
- Andover Golf Club, 51, Winchester Road, Andover (01264 358040, www.andovergolfclub.co.uk). A 100 year old club with a 9-hole course and beautiful countryside views. Visitors welcome after making arrangements.
- The Hampshire Golf Club, Winchester Road, Goodworth Clatford, Near Andover (01264 356462, www.thehampshiregolfclub.co.uk). A mile away from Andover, this course is set on 240 acres of countryside in the Test valley. Welcomes visitors.
- Both Stonehenge (15 minutes by car) and Avebury (25 minutes by car) are within easy reach of Thruxton.
- Visit the Andover Museum & Museum of the Iron Age (www.hants.gov.uk/museum/andoverm/) for some excellent exhibits on the region’s history from prehistoric to modern times.
- For nature lovers, there are excellent walking and cycling opportunities in the surrounding Test Valley (www.visit-testvalley.org.uk).
- www.visit-hampshire.co.uk, Official Hampshire Tourism information
- www.hampshirescountryside.co.uk, Useful website for countryside visits
Leave a Reply