Jon Ostrower, the blogger behind FlightBlogger, pointed out earlier this year that a good friend of his (who also happens to be an aerospace engineer) had passed along these top 25 engineer’s terms and expressions:
2010 Top 25 Engineer’s Terms and Expressions
(What we say versus what it means)
1. A number of different approaches are being tried.
We are still guessing at this point.
2. Close project coordination.
We sat down and had coffee together.
3. An extensive report is being prepared on a fresh approach.
We just hired three punk kids out of school.
4. Major technological breakthrough!
It works OK; but looks very hi-tech!
5. Customer satisfaction is believed assured.
We are so far behind schedule, that the customer will take anything.
6. Preliminary operational tests were inconclusive.
The darn thing blew up when we threw the switch.
7. Test results were extremely gratifying!
Unbelievable, it actually worked!
8. The entire concept will have to be abandoned.
The only guy who understood the thing quit.
9. It is in process.
It is so wrapped in red tape that the situation is completely hopeless.
10. We will look into it.
Forget it! We have enough problems already.
11. Please note and initial.
Let’s spread the responsibility for this.
12. Give us the benefit of your thinking.
We’ll listen to what you have to say as long as it doesn’t interfere with what we have already done or with what we are going to do.
13. Give us your interpretation.
We can’t wait to hear your bull.
14. See me or let’s discuss.
Come to my office, I’ve screwed up again.
15. All new.
Parts are not interchangeable with previous esign.
Don’t plan to lift it without major equipment.
Rugged, but more so
18. Light weight.
Slightly lighter than rugged
19. Years of development.
One finally worked
20. Energy saving.
Achieved when the power switch is off.
21. No maintenance.
Impossible to fix
22. Low maintenance.
Nearly impossible to fix
23. Fax me the data.
I’m too lazy to write it down.
24. We are following the standard!
That’s the way we have always done it!
25. I didn’t get your e-mail.
I haven’t checked my e-mail for days.