Nearest town: Brackley (4 miles by car), Northamptonshire
- Winter: Mon-Fri 0900-1800 (0800-0900 and 1800-2000 on request);
- Sat 0900-1800 or SS; Sun/Public Holidays 1000-1800.
- Summer: Mon-Fri 0800-1700 (0700-0800 and 1700-1900 on request);
- Sat 0800-1700; † Sun/Public Holidays 0900-1700.
Longest Runway: 915m, Asphalt
Fuel: AVGAS 100LL
Phone: 01280 705400 (Admin), 01280 846798 (ATC).
Website: www.turwestonflight.com, Wikipedia entry
AIP: plates and airport diagram
Landing fees: From £12 for singles to £60 for aircraft over 2.5 tonnes
Note: Turweston is a PPR airfield at all times
- Handling: Turweston Flight Centre Ltd. (01280 705400)
- Taxis: R&R Taxis (01280 823636), PJ Cabs (01280 704330) Note: Taxis operate out of Buckingham, not from the airfield itself
- Car Hire: National Car Rental (08713 841170, www.nationalcar.com), Europcar (08713 841170, www.europcar.co.uk) Note: These companies serve Brackley and surrounding areas, but are based out of larger towns nearby
- Facilities at airport: Friendly cafe
- The Green Man Inn, Brackley Hatch, Syresham, Brackley (01280 850209). Set pretty close to the Silverstone racing track, this pub offers a decent range of beers, but it seems to do particularly well as a pub that does some really good food.
- Mitre, 2, Mitre Street, Buckingham (01280 813080). While this is a bit of a drive away from Turweston, it is a good option if you are visiting the surrounding region. An extremely friendly and comfortable pub that serves some good local beers.
- The Greyhound Inn, 101, High Street, Brackley (01280 840608). Conveniently located in the town centre, this one is a smallish pub – great for its friendly staff and a good place to strike up a conversation.
Brackley itself isn’t exactly known for a choice of restaurants, though there are a number of small take-away places as well as cafes, besides the usual options such as McDonald’s and so on. For better options, you can head to nearby towns such as Buckingham or Banbury.
- Villiers, 3, Castle Street, Buckingham (01280 840608, www.villiers-hotel.co.uk). A 2AA Rosette awarded restaurant, this is an elegant place known for innovative Mediterranean inspired food.
- Halibut, 15, Cornwall Place, High Street, Buckingham (01280 817141, www.thehalibut.co.uk). A fairly new restaurant that’s already making a name for itself with its ‘inspired’ seafood menu.
- Otters, Marketplace, Deddington, near Banbury (01869 338813). A comfortable, family-run restaurant that serves traditional food in a cosy atmosphere.
- The Crown Hotel, 20, Marketplace, Brackley (01280 70221). This is a 3-star hotel with facilities that can be termed ‘adequate’ – the biggest draw is that for the traveller with little time, this is one of the closest accomodation options from Turweston.
- The Kings Head, Abbey Road, Syresham (01280 850280, www.thekingsheadsyresham.co.uk). A cosy little hotel in the pleasant village of Syresham, this one is also reputed for its welcoming pub and good food.
- The Clockhouse B&B, Radclive, Buckingham (01280 814577, www.theclockhousebandb.co.uk). Originally an 18th century coaching inn, this is now a friendly and comfortable B&B in a quiet rural area, but still fairly close to both Buckingham and Milton Keynes.
- Buckingham Golf Club, Tingewick Road, Buckingham (01280 815566, wwww.buckinghamgolfclub.co.uk). A challenging 18-hole parkland course o 130 acres of beautiful countryside. Visitors welcome, only on weekdays.
- Stratford-upon-Avon, Shakespeare’s birthplace is easily doable as a day-trip from Turweston.
- The famous Silverstone Grand Prix racing track is very close to Turweston, and the airport organises shuttles to the races on an off-course cross country private road to avoid the crowds! (01280 705400, for bookings)
- Brackley is a good base to explore Northamptonshire’s historic market towns such as Towcestor and Northampton, renowned for their historical architecture.
- www.explorenorthamptonshire.co.uk , Northamptonshire Tourism Information
- www.visitnorthamptonshire.co.uk, More information on Northamptonshire
[…] GolfHotelWhiskey Airport information […]