Nearest town: Maidenhead (4 miles by car), Berkshire
Opening Times: Winter – 0800- to S+ 30 and by arrangement; Summer – 0700 to SS+ 30 or 1900 if earlier and by arrangement.
Longest Runway: 1110m
Fuel: AVTUR JET A1, AVGAS 100LL
Phone: 01628 823272.
Note: White Waltham is a PPR airfield
- Handling: West London Aero Club (01628 823272, firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Taxis: Berkshire Taxis (01628 823636), Express Taxis (01628 777981), Maidenhead & Marlow Taxi (01628 634000), Mayfair Cars (01628 628899),U-Want Taxi Service (01628 622110). Note: All these services are based out of Maidenhead, not at the airfield itself.
- Car Hire: Practical Car and Van Rental (01628 777100, www.practical.co.uk), Abbey Car Hire (01628 529059). Note: All these services are based out of Maidenhead, not at the airfield itself.
- Facilities at airport: Bar and Restaurant, fully equipped room for meetings
- Flying Schools: West London Aero Club (01628 823272, email@example.com)
- The Stag and Hounds, Lee Lane, Pinkneys Green, Maidenhead (01628 630268). A bit of a hidden gem, this one is a very friendly pub with no frills, but some good real ales and homestyle cooking.
- Crawford Arms, Gringer Hill, Maidenhead (01628 625153). Quite a small pub, but welcoming hosts and a nice atmosphere, including a jukebox.
- West London Aero Club, White Waltham Airfield, White Waltham (01628 823799). An extremely convenient option at the airfield, with a very lively atmosphere and the attraction of shop talk.
- Fat Duck, High Street, Maidenhead (01628 580333, www.fatduck.co.uk). Michelin-starred fine dining restaurant with a very innovative menu and extensive wine list.
- The Waterside Inn, Ferry Road, Bray (01628 620691, www.waterside-inn.co.uk). Another high end restaurant serving French cuisine, with the added attraction of views over the Thames from the restaurant terrace.
- The Emperor of India, Windsor Road, Braywick (01628 624100). Smartly done-up and popular Indian restaurant; the food here is not your average curry-house quality.
- Sunny Cottage Guest House, Manor Lane, Maidenhead (01628 770731, www.sunnycottagebb.co.uk). Located close to the Maidenhead train station and convenient as a base for driving to the many towns in the region, Sunny Cottage is regarded as a very comfortable B&B with highly personalised service and excellent breakfasts.
- The Bakehouse, 31, Wellington Road, Maidenhead (01628 778858, www.maidenheadbakehouse.co.uk). Originally a bakery in the early 20th C., this is now a charming B&B that has been variously described as ‘cosy’, ‘welcoming’, ‘impressive’ and ‘family-style’.
- Walton Cottage Hotel, Marlow Road, Maidenhead (01628 624394), www.waltoncottagehotel.co.uk). A friendly and comfortable hotel that has a ‘Poets Parlour’ lounge, equipped with a nice fire in winter; there are suites too for those staying a longer time.
- Bird Hills (UK) Ltd., Drift Road, Hawthorn Hill, Near Maidenhead (01628 771030, www.birdhills.co.uk). A par 72 course set in the Berkshire countryside.
- Maidenhead Golf Club, Shoppenhangers Road, Maidenhead (01628 624693, www.maidenheadgolf.co.uk). A 100-year old challenging course. Visitors with a handicap are welcome on weekdays.
- Temple Golf Club, Henley Road, Hurley, Near Maidenhead (01628 824248, www.templegolfclub.co.uk). A par 70 course with beautiful views of parkland and of the Thames. Visitors need a handicap certificate.
- Winter Hill Golf Club, Grange Lane, Cookham High Street, Maidenhead (01628 527613, www.winterhillgolfclub.net). Friendly and welcoming club open to visitors. A putting green is available for beginners.
- White Waltham boasts of a very active Friday Afternoon Club that flies out every Friday afternoon along with CFI David Coe to interesting locations in the UK and Europe. (Call 01628 823272 for details of upcoming flights).
- A visit to the Roman ruins of Calleva Atrebatum, at present day Silchester (http://www.silchester.rdg.ac.uk), near Reading.
- A visit to Basildon Park, a grand 18th C. mansion featured in a recent film adaption of Jane Austen’s ‘Pride and Prejudice’
- Wellington Country Park (www.wellington-country-park.co.uk), 350 acres of beautiful parkland, with a lake, nature trails as well as attractions for children.
- http://www.aboutbritain.com/counties/berkshire.asp, Tourist information on Berkshire
- www.maidenhead.net, Information about Maidenhead town, activities, eating out and accomodation